Saturday, 3 March 2012

this blog



I set this blog up with the main aim of participating in the Mellow Bakers challenge to bake their way through Dan Lepard's classic The handmade loaf which due to commence in April 2012. I have only been baking sourdough since January 2011, usually making a couple of simple loaves at the weekend. I'm hoping to add to my repertoire and have fun.

Baking real bread, in part, came out of a response to dealing with a stressful job in health care. I am not alone in approaching fifty and wondering whether I have made the right employment choices. With ever increasing demands in the NHS and a target driven culture I question how I can continue in health care for another 20 years without serious detriment to my own health. Baking bread, meditation, running slowly and cooking and eating  vegetarian food are some of the ways I cope. But I am not coping well enough so a sub-theme to this blog will be how I choose to address this.

I am happily married with two cats.

No comments: