Sunday, 22 April 2012

flaky butter buns



I had been putting off the flaky butter buns challenge. Whilst I have been baking bread for about 18 months, I have never really attempted cakes or pastries. So this was outside my comfort zone.

Ingredients

Strong white flour
Unsalted butter
Salt
Unsalted butter
milk
Unsalted butter
fresh yeast
More unsalted butter

I had made the dough last night and placed it in the fridge overnight to ferment. It had been quite a stiff dough but it had risen despite the cool of the fridge. I smile at this remembering making bread with my mother when the emphasis was placing the dough in a warm place with a premium on keeping the fermentation short.

This morning the butter is introduced. Did I mention that there was butter in this recipe?


"The modern affluent-puritan may claim the buttered loaf is an unnecessary extravagance, but for anyone who feels that life is lean enough, these breads make a simple life feel less harsh and more enjoyable." ~ Dan Lepard, THL, p 144





 The recipe involves folding in the butter, resting the dough and then rolling it out to a 1 cm thickness








Finally the dough is rolled out and 11 cm circles are cut out. The edges are pulled in to the centre and pinched and then smoothed into a smooth round bun. I put them on some baking parchment on a baking tray, cover and leave to rise for 1 1/2 hours.


They do rise but I wonder whether I could have left them longer?


They bake in the oven at 200C for 25 minutes. They look golden when they come out, sitting in a molten butter lake. They smell decadent.






They are light though perhaps could have been lighter. Definitely flaky and buttery. Not bad for a first effort but I can't help feeling I have missed something. But that said, I may have a go at making croissants this summer.

3 comments:

  1. Cheers for giving this recipe a try! They look tasty. I've been a bit intimidated by this one, I confess, while the invocation of this much butter also has me craving southern-US style biscuits (I'm hunting for a good recipe for those now...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, Ray. I made mine yesterday, too, but not found time for the write-up. Were you able to follow the shaping instructions ok? I found them a little confusing, but ended up (you can judge for yourself when I publish) with a similar shape to yours.

    But the ultimate question: how have you eaten yours? I have tried plain, jam and dipped in soup (not all at the same time) and I keep feeling I am doing it wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susanne - thank you. i guess this is why i like the company of mellow bakers as there are experienced bakers alongside newbies like me. The results were tasty if not perfect but nicer than a supermarket pastry!

    Chris - I would have appreciated some line drawings! I think I got the folds right after discussing it with my wife, with the final flat rings i just pulled the edges into the centre like I was shaping for a boule. Look forward to seeing your results. Mine did not look as flaky as the book photograph but they certainly were, judging by the crumbs everywhere!

    I ate mine plain - I like your idea of dipping in soup... I'm veggie so the suggested bacon idea was a no go :)

    ReplyDelete