Sunday, 24 June 2012

Rye sourdough with caraway seeds


Sunday. Decided to make three sourdough loaves today. One was a rye sourdough with caraway following a recipe from Emmanuel Hadjiandreou. I liked the Dan Lepard loaf (see previous post) but wondered what a sourdough loaf with this rye flour and caraway would offer. I was not disappointed. I love the crust you get with sourdough and the recipe itself was easy to follow.


I was surprised that the dough did in fact double in size but there was no oven spring.



Another winner from Hadjiandreou.


4 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic, esp. with the peppers and eggplant nearby. Gee, roast eggplant w/ garlic and a nice olive oil together with a rye sourdough is sounding very, very good right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) We ended up baking the red peppers and filling them with new potatoes, pesto and feta cheese, mopping up the juices with the bread. Day 2 and the bread has a really good flavour - I prefer it to the Lepard bread though that really isn't comparing like with like. That said there is more to rye breads than I was expecting. I have a recipe for a rye loaf with figs and pink peppercorns - may be this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the crust on your loaf! It looks completely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a really tasty bread this one. I have added a photo of the crumb. Like most rye breads it improves with age and is great with a strong cheese.

    ReplyDelete