Sunday, 27 January 2013

The handmade loaf.... continued



Since the demise of the Mellow Bakers challenge I have been wondering how to refocus this blog. I am not a good blogger, but fortunately I only have a few readers who seem to stick around despite the infrequency of my posts. I like my readers. I am a better home baker though these past few weeks may not bear witness to this. Baking once a week should not lead to the slight embarrassment of running out of.... er... flour. Well, sort of.... There was some white left but not enough for a whole loaf so I cobbled together the dregs of some spelt and an 81% wheat flour and with a little love an attention produced a very tasty loaf. Sometimes it's nice to bake a loaf following the feel of it rather than rote use of a recipe. I think sourdough gives you a little more licence. Today I knocked out a cheese & herb loaf from Hadjiandreou's book. I used flat leaf parsley rather than coriander because I picked up the wrong bunch in the supermarket.... I know, I know.... and chopped red chillis because I had a surplus. The loaf is one of my favourites.

I have been thumbing through Dan's book and I have identified a dozen or so recipes I'd like to give a go over the next six months.

 New Year resolutions have gone well. Day 25 and I still have not had a drink. This has been surprisingly difficult at weekends when I have missed a pint of real ale, but I am glad I have done It. My sleep has definitely been better. I have also been eating healthier and been exploring the 5:2 d.... d.... d..... No I can not use the d word.... Healthy eating plan. This seems to be very popular at present with many celebrity endorsements. Even my bro has been trying it. I like the science behind it and if it means I can still occasionally eat home-made onion bhajis or add butter to my dhals then I think it may be more than a fad. I will post more after I have given it three months.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Ray - Would that be the two day a week "fast" diet that seems to be inescapable just now? Don't tell the religious zealots because they've been doing that for millennia! Mind you Lent and Advent (and Ranmadan) are 4 weeks long.

    Glad to hear you've kept up the Dan Lepard faith. For my penance I still make a loaf of bread a day (you should see my gas bill!). I don't find DL's method aligns with my stars but his range of recipe's is very catholic (with a small c) So today I made his Barley and Rye loaf and Dark Crisp Rye Bread. The second one I am adapting to coat with sesame, pumpkin and sunflower seeds which is great fun, but not quite there yet. It's great for using up excess starter.

    Do please keep posting with your interesting observations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... I know... The 5:2 is currently the bees knees.... Who'd have thought a HORIZON programme would be so popular -

      I think there's a good dozen recipes from THL I would still like to do. Just did the apple and oat one and will try it for breakfast. I envy you baking everyday.....

      Delete
  2. Nice when you come up with a loaf of your own, Ray. Cobbled together from your own interest really.
    My very own sourdough loaf is wasabi pea. Funny how a little kick in bread works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still to do that wasabi loaf..... But I will!

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you're still going to be baking from DL's book. I am too, and have a post waiting to be written on the Rolled Oat and Apple loaf, which was a hit here with me and my spouse.

    Congrat's on the New Year's resolutions, btw. I've done the first one this past year, along with quitting caffeine, and it wasn't easy (but was a definite help.) My current resolution: try to walk 150 minutes per week. We'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just made the rolled oat and apple bread. Calamitous... I misread the quantities.... Think I got away with it, don't tell anyone.... Will try for breakfast and then post....

      Congrats on the resolutions!

      Setting up a meditation practice is my goal for February.........

      Delete